1. Deadline for receipt of all application materials is JANUARY 15. Applicants who have been advanced to the second (interview) round of consideration will be notified within two weeks of that date. Rice Anthropology will host a visiting weekend on campus for second round applicants during the third weekend of FEBRUARY. The department encourages all second round applicants to attend the visiting weekend but will arrange Skype interviews with those who cannot. Final admissions decisions will be made and applicants notified by the last working day of FEBRUARY.
2. Nonrefundable APPLICATION FEE is $85.00. We accept money orders or personal checks (do not send cash), if you are applying online you can pay with the credit card. Additional fee of $10.00 will be charged for returned check. Applications can be processed only after the application fee is received.
3. OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT must be in sealed envelope or sent directly to the Department of Anthropology. You must provide an official, confidential transcript.
Rice UniversityDepartment of Anthropology-MS 20 PO Box 1892Houston TX 77251
It is the practice of Rice as an institution to require official transcripts at the time of application. This is the preferred practice.If circumstances occur such that the department chooses to allow unofficial transcripts (including photocopies or
non-certified electronic copies) during the admissions process and not require the official transcripts until after acceptance, the admitted student will be given an offer of provisional acceptance. (The Anthropology Department has chosen to allow unofficial transcripts (including photocopies or
non-certified electronic copies) during the admissions process and not
require the official transcripts until after acceptance.) The admitted student will have a deadline of 30 days from the date of the offer letter to provide an official transcript. If the current degree has not yet been conferred, this transcript must be followed by another, final transcript showing conferral of the degree before the student will be allowed to register for the second semester at Rice.4.(a) GRE: Rice University requires that all applicants provide GRE (Graduate Record Examination) General Test scores. The scores must not be more than five years old, and an official copy must be sent to Rice University directly from the Educational Testing Service. Personal copies are not acceptable. The codes for the GRE test are: School code: 6609; Dept. code: 1701. The GRE test scores must be received by January 15th. 4.(b) TOEFL: The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required of any student whose native language is not English, regardless of whether or not that student has attended another U.S. institution. The score must not be more than two years old and an official copy must be sent to the Graduate School directly from ETS. The score must be at least 600 on the paper-based TOEFL or score at least 250 on the computer-based TOEFL. For students who choose to take the IELTS in lieu of TOEFL, the minimum score is 7. The TOEFL may be waived for an international student who
received a degree from a university in which English is the official
language of communication.
Rice UniversityDepartment of Anthropology-MS 20PO Box 1892Houston TX 77251
5. LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION- three letters of recommendation are required for admission.
6. WRITING SAMPLE - The writing sample is an important part of the application.
Please send something that represents your past work and interests effectively. The Statement of Purpose is also an important part of your application, where you indicate why you wish to come to this department for graduate training, and what specific research ideas or projects that you wish to develop here.
P.O. Box 1892
Houston, TX 77251